Grappenhall Heys Estate in South Warrington was founded by Thomas Parr. By 1830, he had purchased land over a number of years and constructed a new house with a formal pleasure garden, parkland and a walled garden. The kitchen garden produced fruit, vegetables and exotic flowers throughout the year, assisted by a range of glasshouses built along the sunniest elevation. The ornamental pleasure garden includes herbaceous borders, three ponds and attracts local wildlife. In its heyday, this part of the gardens was used by the Parr family for recreational purposes.
The Parr family resided at Grappenhall for three generations until they relocated to Herefordshire. Sadly, the family home decayed and in the 1970s was demolished with parts of the estate sold off for development. Despite a turbulent period with decades of neglection, the walled garden survived and has undergone a period of renovation assisted by various groups including English partnership, Warrington Organic and Wildlife Gardening Society, the Friends of Grappenhall Heys Walled Garden, Grappenhall and Thelwall parish council and numerous volunteers.
Today, the secret garden is back to its former glory and in 2014, work to reinstate the decaying glass houses was completed with finance gained from the Heritage Lottery Fund. The gardens and the glasshouses are now used as a community resource serving as a venue for family events, exhibitions and education.
The Fountain Room Cafe is open from 10am-5pm on Saturdays and Sundays. Enjoy a range of paninis, sandwiches, homemade cakes, ice cream and more!
The venue includes:
– Refurbished Victorian Glasshouses
– Walled Kitchen Garden
– Pleasure Garden
– Historical Interpretation boards on site
– Events programme
– School programmes
– Seasonal Fruit & Vegetable Sales
– Refreshments (Sundays only or by prior arrangement)
– Baby changing facilities
– Local wildlife
Full Address: Witherwin Avenue , Grappenhall Heys , Warrington , Cheshire , WA4 3DS