**Ethical, Responsible and Sustainable Tourism Award Winner 2019**
We are Chester Zoo
With over 35,000 animals and 125 acres of zoological gardens to EXPLORE, you will NEVER be bored at Chester Zoo! We are the most visited zoo in the UK AND a conservation and education charity committed to PREVENTING EXTINCTION.
You will be transported to some of the most REMOTE corners of the world, to experience the critically endangered ORANGUTANS from the RAINFORESTS of south east Asia, to the bouncing ring-tailed LEMURS of MADAGASCAR, to the ROARSOME lions of the savannah plains, to name a few!
Whether you’re a budding conservationist, or wanting a MEMORABLE family day out, or just LOVE seeing thousands of our exotic species, there is something for EVERYONE at Chester Zoo!
You’ll always find our best prices online. Book more than 7 days in advance and you’ll SAVE UP TO £4 PER TICKET compared with the price you’ll pay at the zoo on the day. Hoorah!
Take me to the zoo
Join the zoo family
You can visit us all year round, as many times as you like, by becoming a member!
Join our zoo family and you’ll get a whole year of FREE unlimited entry plus lots of other great benefits!
Become a member
Once the home of the Mottershead family who founded Chester Zoo, The Oakfield is a truly unique contemporary British pub. Steeped in history and lovingly restored, it boasts views of our incredible award winning gardens, set in the stunning grounds of the zoo. Serving freshly prepared locally sourced food and hand-picked beers, wines and spirits 7 days a week, The Oakfield is the perfect spot for lunch, dinner, entertaining, or to simply re-fuel during your trip to the zoo!*
*Usual zoo admission fees apply but our members can visit as often as they wish.
Explore the Oakfield
Meet the animals at Chester Zoo
Download a map of Chester Zoo to see where you can find the various animals. The zoo has sections that home:
– Mammals – Air breathing animals, characterised by having hair or fur, such as big Cats, Elephants, hoofed animals, Monkeys & Apes, Bears and other mammals.
– Birds – There are over 1000 birds at the zoo many of them endangered species.
– Reptiles – There are over 50 types of reptile at the zoo including the world’s largest lizard.
– Amphibians – Amphibians are a weird and wonderful collection of animals that include three main groups; frogs & toads, salamanders and caecilians.
– Fish – There are so many different fish in the world, at least 30,000 species, with new species discovered all the time (several hundred a year!).
– Invertebrates – Invertebrates are animals without backbones and there are many different types, including insects, spiders, sponges, snails, octopuses, clams, squid, jellyfish, anemones, corals, starfish, sea urchins, worms – that’s just the short list!.
Conservation and education are at the heart of everything we do at Chester Zoo. We are committed to providing the highest standards of care for our animals, as well as protecting native and international wildlife. Our team of expert and knowledgeable staff work hard to care for our animals and support conservation, but are also passionate about connecting our visitors to the natural world. We have a variety of tours and hands-on experiences, as well as daily animal talks to guarantee your day is full of animal adventure.
Stop for a snack at one of our many restaurants, cafes and kiosks located throughout the zoo or let the kids run wild in one of our adventure play areas. We’re a huge zoo, but we’ve got plenty of options for getting around including our Zoofari Monorail and our Lazy River Boat Trip. Don’t forget to stop in at the gift shop on your way out for a souvenir of your trip.
For information about opening times and prices, please visit our website (prices and opening times vary throughout the year).
Click here to see Groups information
Full Address: Upton by Chester , Chester , Cheshire , CH2 1EU